Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

Even if the document doesn't say that the appeal has to be

Customer Question

Even if the document doesn't say that the appeal has to be filed with the BIA and instead that the only recourse is the file a Motion to Reopen, would you recommend doing both?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

No, if you received a letter from the Dept of Jusitce, Immigration court, what you should do is file a Motion to Reopen this if you were never in court. The BIA will not have jurisdiction if you were not in court when the deportation order was given and the case was never appealed. That is considered an Order of Deportation in Absentia (because no one was there) and the Motion to Reopen to the court is what needs to be done. I have extensive experience with this.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How will my husband be protected while preparing his Motion to reopen if he doesn't file an appeal with the BIA? Also, it appears we have 90 days to file the motion. Can you verify this. He did not appear because he did not receive notice.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We requested a phone call with you

It looks like your payment failed unfortunately. You would have to contact customer service to try to correct it and then we could do the phone call.

He doesn't need to file an appeal with the BIA in order to be protected. Filing an appeal in this case does not protect him. Filing the Motion to Reopen is what will protect him. In most cases do have 90 days, however if he never received notice then he can actually file a Motion to Reopen at any time but the sooner the better.

I hope this clarifies and hope you can now issue a positive rating.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Lastly, can you tell me what you would charge to review the Motion to Reopen we are preparing

We would have to discuss the exact facts of the case on a brief phone call and go from there.