Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Do you do consulting calls? I am in a situation where my

Customer Question

Do you do consulting calls ?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: I am in a situation where my college is willing to provide me a new I-20 with a different CIP code than what I currently have because my previous CIP code was wrong they are saying they will give me a new I-20 when I apply for OPT extension I was wondering what documentation and stuff is needed because my case is different than normal
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: is this a charged consultation ?
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The thing I want to clarify is that I have already graduated with a different CIP code which does not lie under STEM category. The new CIP code makes me STEM eligible. The university accepts that they had the wrong CIP code and hence will issue me a new I-20, even though for my current EAD I applied through the old code. So I am wondering if USCIS will accept the change and what all I need to send them when I apply for an extension.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

It is not just the CIP code on the I-20 but also what is on your transcript. What CIP is on your transcript as the CIP for your major? The two have to match up.

Judith

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My transcripts still have the old CIP code. Do I need to get those updated as well ? Also, is it a common problem or rare enough that it may become an issue for rejection of my application
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The thing is my college had just started the program and they did not know that their CIP code needed to be changed. They started the process when I was still a student but it got changed only once I graduated this may. That is why I still have the same code but they are willing to help me on it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, looking at my official transcript from the university right now, it does not have CIP code on it.

You need to talk to the Dean of Admissions and find out if the university is able at this late date to change the CIP on your transcripts. The Transcripts CIP has to match the I-20 and if they don't the STEM will be denied.

This is a total university issue and they need to determine what their policy will be with regards ***** ***** the error on transcripts for graduates.

This is way beyond an immigration question other than the requirement being that the transcript and I-20 CIP must match.

I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
See, that's my concern, my transcripts do not have a CIP code. I have my transcript right in front of me.

Yes, I understand that. But it is up to the University to determine a policy for changing the CiP on transcripts for graduates if they made an error in assigning the CIP. This is a high level university issue which the Dean of Students needs to address. You would not be the only student affected by this so they need to determine how they will rectify their mistake.

Immigration requires the same CIP on the transcript for your major as what is on the I-20. There cannot be a conflict. It has to be one or the other.

So since the school created this dilemma they need to determine how they will rectify this.

As an immigration attorney I can only tell you that USCIS will catch the conflict between your OPT CIP and the I-20 STEM CIP and will ask for the transcript to determine what CiP you graduated with. So the school will have to figure out what they are going to do to fix this. USCIS will not approve a STEM extension with the OPT and transcript having a different CIP from what is on the new STEM I-20.

Judith