CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Need assisatnce reporting a fal;se marriage, California, not

Customer Question

need assisatnce reporting a fal;se marriage
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet there is a history associated with the issue.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: involving activity by the other party to disrupt the citizens life and make a case for the marriage not to work
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

There is not a mechanism to "report a false marriage" - however, if a fraudulent marriage is somehow related to civil damages, or becomes an issue in a family law matter (usually contested as part of a dissolution (divorce) proceeding), then the legitimacy of that marriage is going to be determined judicially.

You say that there is "history associated with the issue" - perhaps if you can tell me what exactly you are hoping to accomplish (spouse trying to disprove a marriage, former spouse trying to dispute alimony or child support calculations, or some other issue), I can better assist you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I ended up getting married to a women who ended up, immediately after the marriage to pose threats towards me, stating that she would fabricate checks made out to me for thousands of dollars if I didn't keep quiet or if i tried to report her. I then observed suspicious individuals who apparently knew me who began to disrupt my life, subsequently putting me in situations which I was involved with narcotics among other things I could not get away from. Now several years later, I am concerned A with not wanting to be threatened by these people again. and B I want our marriage annulled.I do not want this marriage or this person to haunt me for the rest of my life.

Dear Customer,

You need to file for a dissolution/divorce.

(An annulment will not work for your circumstances).

Given the nature of your relationship and the very legitimate concerns you have regarding this person, I would strongly recommend that you hire a lawyer (a lawyer doesn't just know how to file these papers with the court and represent you, they also act as a buffer between you and the other party - for this reason alone, hiring a lawyer in your case would be worth it).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thats kind what i figured. The time table we are looking at is from 2002 - 2004. That was the marriage period. The person still shows up as a listed dependent on my Tax returns, My additional concern is an attempt to stack claim on any personal or business assets that I currently own. Is this a legitimate concern.

Yes, it is a legitimate concern. But a local attorney can likely assist you in reviewing your case and helping you prepare a strategy for your dissolution matter.