legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

Last week my wife was wrongly accused of switching tags at a

Customer Question

Hello, last week my wife was wrongly accused of switching tags at a Century 21st department store in Manhattan, NYC. She was detained for a period of time and was not allowed to speak with me or anyone else (although I managed a 20 second conversation with her advising her to not be arrested for this before a security guard took the phone from her and hung up on me). They interrogated her for over an hour and ultimately she signed a document which they told her disallowed her to return to the store for a period of 5 years. We received a letter from the attorney for Century 21 today seeking $500 (the original infraction was for $180), seeking a civil claim in this matter. We are going through a Green card process now, and we have a 1 and 2 year old, and are new home owners. My question is if I settle this civil claim can that adversely affect our Green card application?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 26 days ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  legalgems replied 26 days ago.

Civil matters do not have an impact on immigration issues; however, when signing anything, one should take care and review the document to ensure that they are not signing an admission of guilt. An admission of guilt can be used in a criminal proceeding should the prosecutor press charges; so it is very important to review the document to ensure that there is no clause re: actual guilt.

It is likely that the additional fees are legal fees (ie the lawyer's time in advising the store, and drafting the letter).

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you. I just updated my payment information. Are you available for a brief live call?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
in this case, it seems that perhaps it's best to settle the civil case, rather than attempt to fight it. I believe my wife is innocent, but if her signature is admitting guild, she could be prosecuted which certainly seems like it would affect the green card application. Is that correct?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hello, are you still available?
Expert:  legalgems replied 25 days ago.

I'm sorry; I'm not set up for phone calls yet.

Yes, a prosecution can affect immigration status.- these are the crimes that can result in deportation: