How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 113401
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to apply for tourist visa to US (I'm from Gulf Arab

Customer Question

I want to apply for tourist visa to US (I'm from Gulf Arab countries) then while I'm there, I apply for immigration and green card to become american and get the passport? Do I've to be sent back to my country while I wait for the decision? and for how long I can stay as a tourist and can I re new it there when it's expire?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have to have a sponsor for a green card or for a visa other than a visitor visa. So you cannot just come to the US and apply for a green card and get one. It takes a minimum 5 years in the US as a lawful resident (on a work visa or some other RESIDENT visa) in order to obtain a green card. If you come in on a visitor visa you must leave the US within 6 months of entry on the visa. So, you cannot just stay here until your resident visa is approved. You can come here on a visitor visa and while here find an employer who is willing to apply for a H1b, work, visa to employ you and if you remain here a minimum of 5 years on the H1b visa you can apply for a green card.

Related Immigration Law Questions