Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I recently obtained a job working with children at a day

Customer Question

Hello...I recently obtained a job working with young children at a day care Center and I have to go get fingerprinted. Back in 1998 and 2002 I was arrested for a disorderly persons offense. I would like to know whether the fingerprinting will go back that far. When I filled out the application I checked no to the question of whether I was ever convicted of a criminal, felony, or misdemeaner because I was told by previous lawyers that I don't have to tell any potential employer unless it said disorderly persons. I guess I'm just wondering if I should just be honest with them prior to wasting any more of their time...I really don't knw what to do..I need this job..I want this job and haven't had any issues since 2002...I appreciate any help you can offer...thank you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 months ago.

Hello there -

-

It is simply best to be honest on the form because you do not want to be terminated for the simple act of lying on the form when they would have otherwise let the old court actions against you slide in their assessment of your qualifications for the job. Once they check your record, they will review the items that you were charged with an ultimately convicted for and determine whether or not those prior problems can or would cause any problems with your current job for this employer....... That is a decision that is entirely within the discretion of the employer

-

I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section -- pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star are all positive ratings. I am paid nothing by Just Answer for my time assisting you unless you press a positive rating above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you today.. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

MARY

-

Expert:  Legalease replied 4 months ago.

Hello again --

-

Do you have any additional questions for me on these matters? If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section -- pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star are all positive ratings. I am paid nothing by Just Answer for my time assisting you unless you press a positive rating above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you today.. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

MARY