Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

My h1 was picked this April, and it got approved yesterday.

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My h1 was picked this April, and it got approved yesterday. I was on 12 month OPT period, my OPT expired sometime in July and since then i had CAP GAP till Sep 30th. Since my h1 was in pending status and I was not sure if was going to get approved or denied, I took a sevis transfer from my current university to a different university. Now i want to know if something has to be done from my side, or change of status would automatically happen from f1 to h1 on Oct 1st.
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Regarding?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My h1 was picked this April, and it got approved yesterday. I was on 12 month OPT period, my OPT expired sometime in July and since then i had CAP GAP till Sep 30th. Since my h1 was in pending status and I was not sure if was going to getapproved or denied, I took a sevis transfer from my current university to a different university. Now i want to know if something has to be done from my side, or change of status would automatically happen from f1 to h1 on Oct 1st.
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a back and forth conversation. Once you've received the information you need, you can thank me by issuing me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

Please give me some time to review your question. It might take a little while, but I WILL be back to continue this conversation and give you an answer. Asking me if I am still here or checking in only serves to delay the response. So your patience is very much appreciated.

Thank you very much. Kindly remember that I do not get a salary here. Your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, before leaving the site today. Thank you!

ANSWER: Yes, if you received an I-94 with your H1B approval, and you are in the US on the validity date of the I-94, you automatically change your status to H1B on October 1.

I hope I have answered your questions. I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

Once you have received an answer, please help me get credit for doing my job, by giving me a positive rating of 3, 4 or 5 stars or any of the smiling faces. You can still ask more questions, even after you’ve given a rating.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going.

I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.