CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I am currently working on OPT permit, has been with the same

Customer Question

I am currently working on OPT permit, has been with the same company almost a year. I have not won H1B visa last year and plan to apply again in 2017. I want to go back home for Christmas break, which means that I will have to obtain new F1 visa (my current visa has expired). Is it risky for me to travel outside of the U.S. if I need to apply for a new visa with OPT?
Thanks so much!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

There is risk in traveling abroad while your OPT renewal is pending - it is possible to be denied reentry, and it is also possible that you will be required to furnish additional documentation if you are overseas while the application is being processed.

That being said, it is not uncommon for individuals to take this risk and travel - but this is something you would have to decide for yourself (whether the risk of being stalled overseas and possibilities of having to go through additional steps to get your OPT renewed outweigh the overseas trip at this particular time).