Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
10285032

Myself, my husband and a friend wish to retire in a city

Customer Question

myself, my husband and a friend wish to retire in a city near Cabo San Lucas. We found property for 16K and the house will cost 16k to have built. myself and my friend are on Social Security income totally 2500 a month. my husband will have zero income. Can we qualify for a visa to move there?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: no
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The land will be in the name of a friend who is a Mexican citizen and we will be leasing the property from him.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Mexico has both a Temporary Resident Visa (which can be valid for 1-4 years) and a Permanent Resident Immigrant Visa. It sounds that from your plans, you'd like to retire there on a permanent basis, and so I believe the Permanent Resident Immigrant Visa may be more suitable for you; there are a few ways to qualify for the Permanent Resident Visa. Keep in mind one of the ways to qualify for the permanent resident visa is to have held the temporary resident visa for 4 years.

Some of the ways you may qualify for the Permanent Resident Visa are:

1. have certain close family connections in Mexico

2. apply for retirement status and prove you have sufficient monthly income (or substantial assets) to support yourself

3. have 4 consecutive years of regular status as Temporary Resident

4. have 2 consecutive years of regular status as Temporary Resident where that the Temporary Visa was issued through marriage to a Mexican National or a foreign permanent resident

5. meet a minimum score under the Points System

Note: you do not need to meet ALL of these requirements, just one of them.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

I notice that you stated your monthly income from social security will be $2500 -- is that the amount each for your friend and yourself? I just want to bring to your attention that currently the income requirements for the resident visa is around $2,000/month for yourself, and $500 for each dependent.

If you have any other questions, I'm finishing work on the site for the evening, so I'm going to opt out so that another attorney can assist you. Best of luck to you!

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as it seems your previous contributor had to leave.
Did you have any further questions for us regarding this matter?