Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert

What is necessary for a new born baby to go to india? How

Customer Question

What is necessary for a new born baby to go to india? How long does it take to get OCI? can i get in emergency ?
Baby was born in US; she has a US passport, but my employer is asking to leave US immediately but my baby doesn't have OCI card yet.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

you are eligible to apply for OCI for the infant, it can take usually up to 30 days, but can be expedited in cases of emergency and you need to contact the Indian Consulate in the US prior to travel. You need not provide copy of current US passport, copies of parents proof of renunciation, copy of parents us passport or OCI cards, naturalization certificate,proof of Indian origin from the checklist. All that is required to provide are copies of parents Indian passport, valid visa status and rest as per checklist on the India Immigration website. See: