Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Ms., I'm currently working under J-1 visa. One of the terms

Customer Question

Hi Ms. Wilson, I'm currently working under J-1 visa. One of the terms is that I CANNOT work for more than one employer, paid or unpaid. But I am asked to do some paid contract work and the company agrees to pay me through paypal. I wanted to know whether I may get into trouble with the immigration authority. And if I ever apply for green card in the future, will they find out that I had unauthorized income in the past? Thanks!
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: J-1 visa holder. And no, I do not have pending petitions with USCIS
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I worked under OPT before transfering to J-1 visa
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

I would not risk it. If they ever audited your records, they could find it. There is something that could "forgive" a limited violation which is 245(k), but that isn't guaranteed that you would get an approval either. Here is the link:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/Static_Files_Memoranda/Archives%201998-2008/2008/245(k)_14jul08.pdf

As I said, I wouldn't risk it.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!