Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I'm from Yemen and I've refugee issue in US to me and my

Customer Question

I'm from Yemen and I've refugee issue in US to me and my family (wife and son), My Question Can I get a travel document to visit my mother in law while she lives in Saudi Arabia (not in Yemen) because she is very sick and my wife in a bad mode very bad mode because my wife didn't see her mother for 12 months until now, What the percent to get a travel document ?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office.I'm sorry to hear that your mother in law's health is not doing very well. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

In order to travel, you will need to obtain an Refugee Travel Document in order to return to the US. In order to get the Refugee Travel Document, you need to file Form I-131.

The travel document is generally valid for one year and you can indicate on your Form I-131 that you want USCIS to send your Refugee Travel Document to a U.S. Embassy or consulate, or a DHS office overseas, so you can pick it up from one of those facilities.

Here's a link with all the information you'll need:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/D4en.pdf

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Nisha
I know about I-131 but my question Can I get a travel document for this reason or no?
What you think
and thank you for your answer
Ali

Yes, if you have your refugee/asylee status then you are eligible to apply for a travel document. You just want to make sure that you don't return to Yemen while overseas, because that could cause you to lose your refugee status. But yes, you should be able to obtain the travel document by filing the I-131.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions, and please also take a moment to rate me using the stars as it's the only way I'm compensated for my time (and it's free of charge to you to rate me), thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm Don't go to Yemen ever in future, then Can I get it Right ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Good morning Ali, my apologies for the late reply, I have not been back to the 'just answer' site until now, since our conversation late last night.

The answer to your question is yes, you will be able to obtain the travel document and you can go to saudi arabia, you just cannot go to yemen, the country from which you've fled persecution, otherwise you could lose your refugee status.

If you'd like to double check whether there are any issues about traveling to saudi arabia, now or in the future, you can always contact the Department of State using their contact request form, here's a link to it:

https://register.state.gov/contactus/contactusform

Thanks for your patience, I hope I've been able to answer all of your questions! Please don't forget to take a moment to rate me using the stars, as it's the only way I'm compensated by 'just answer' for my time (and it's free of charge for you), thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!