Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

A rhetorical question: My "friend" is a German citizen with

Customer Question

Hi, a rhetorical question:
My "friend" is a German citizen with an EU passport. Lets say he got a Canadian Visa for 6 months, could he fly in to Toronto/Montreal (and get the Canadian Visa and stamp) and then cross the border into the US by car or train, without having the passport scanned, stamped or put into some database?
Because if the passport isn't stamped or put in an electronic database, he could technically stay in the US for 6 months, then go back to Canada just in time for when his Canadian Visa runs out. It would seem like he never even left Canada?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Every crossing between Canada and US requires passing an immigration check by the ICE/TSA authorities. If he takes a train or a plane, the check would be once he lands in USA/arrives at the US spot where he leaves the train.

I am sorry, but "sneaking" into USA from Canada and not being scanned by the authorities is not possible - he can only cross at designated areas, and all said areas have check points for immigration purposes either at the border or at place of final destination (if by plane or train).

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, just to clarify: I realize that one must show a passport when crossing the border. A passport which allows for Visa free travel to the US (Which a German passport does). I am wondering whether it's just enough to show the passport? Or if the passport number etc is added to an electronic database? It's not "sneaking" since the person actually shows the valid passport
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
I think that is where the misunderstanding lies. No, one does not simply show the passport. The passport is scanned to ensure it is not a fake, and it electronically "tagged" as well. So one does not simply "show" the passport.
Of course it is not sneaking in... but their passport WILL be scanned and tagged.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!