Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My daughter was born in USA. She married and moved to UK for

Customer Question

My daughter was born in USA. She married and moved to UK for 16 years. Her husband abused her and she changed her name over there so he could not find her. She is now back with me but we can't seem to get her a photo ID even with all the UK legal documents on her name change.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: trying to
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that she needs to open a bank account and her passport was confiscated as her ex called it in stolen
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

She is now in the U.S. and she is looking to get her U.S. Passport back or is this about getting an ID in the UK?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Getting USA id
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have data on my phone can you call.

Ok, but she has a U.S. birth certificate, correct? If so, why is she having a problem getting a new U.S. Passport?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She needs a photo ID for Virginia but we can't get one without one.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We went to Social Security (needs photo ID). Went to DMV for that and they want photo ID to get one. We have her birth certificate and all of her legal papers from UK but nobody will accept them

Birth certificate from the UK? I thought you said she was born in the U.S.?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Payment made please call me(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She was born in USA, married and got Passport to live in UK with husband. She did for 16 years. She ran from him and he destroyed all of her paper work. She got legal aid there involved. She got a new passport in London. We fled UK on 9/9/16 and by the time we got to Toronto he had called her passport in as stolen so the took it from us but allowed her to come home. She has all of the documents on her name change and the divorce decree. Nobody will let us get a photo ID or apply in USA for her name change

It says that there was a payment failure. You would have to use a different credit card or contact your bank.

Her U.S. Passport was reported as stolen or she had a UK passport that was reported as stolen?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She had a US passport that was reported by her ex as being stolen.

Has she reapplied for a new one?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She can't apply for anything. We have tried!!!!!!!!! I only have one card and can't do anything about payment failure. I am trying to do this via computer not phone but you are sending to my phone.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Forget it this is no good. I can email with you but not talk to you and you do not seem to understand the problem.

I do understand the problem and I have a solution in mind, but I need more information from you. When she applies for a U.S. Passport, how does she do it (what procedure) and what do they tell her?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

She should go in person to a U.S. Passport Agency and take her birth certificate and any other IDs that she has and apply in person. Here is a link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html

I believe this should work.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!