Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.

I've been on OPT work authorization since September 16,

Customer Question

I've been on OPT work authorization since September 16, 2015. I started employment on October 7, 2015.
I know it's extremely important to report any employment updates to USCIS as soon as possible.I updated the employer name, address, start date immediately in my university student link as soon as I started employment back in October last year. My current OPT expires on 9/15/2016, and I've already applied for a STEM OPT extension (my application was just mailed to USCIS today, 9/9).HERE'S THE PROBLEM: When I went to my student link (the portal where I report my employer information), I noticed that the start date reads blank. Here's a screenshot----> you can see, 'Employer Start Date' is blank. Does this mean that SEVIS thinks that I was never employed?!
I don't know why it shows blank, I'm 100% sure I reported it. If I hadn't wouldn't SEVIS have terminated my record automatically by now, since it's been almost a year and I cannot accrue more than 90 days of cumulative employment? I also travelled to India this July and was let in without any problems at all.I also have an email to my DSO clearly mentioning that I started employment on October 7.Should I talk to my advisor? Is this just a mistake? I'm worried this will completely jeopardize my STEM OPT application. Does SEVIS database show that I was never employed? Should I update the record in the Student Link? I'm afraid if I do this, it will force push an update to SEVIS and might complicate matters for me (I'm supposed to report employment within 10 days of starting it, if I do it now it might seem that I'm reporting it after almost a year and therefore am automatically in violation of status). I'm 100% sure I reported this last year.What should be my next step of action?Any guidance will be appreciated. Please help, I am extremely nervous.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

You definitely talk to your advisor right away and do not do anything until you have done so. It could just be a mistake or glitch in the system. It is important that you talk about it with them and see what happened and what they can do on their end. Do not panic. It should not affect your STEP application, just speak to them as soon as you can about correcting the issue.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.