Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am an international student who is out of statues and I am

Customer Question

i am an international student who is out of statues and I am trying to get situated
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: no my I 20 just got determinated on July
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no this is my first time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, i was attending school in mtsu and I got suspended due to low academic stands and they gave me 60 days to bring them a new admission from another school so i went to a community that is located near by and addressed them with my academic statue and that i got suspended, to make a long story short the process has taken more than two month, i have submitted all required document and just waiting for an acceptance latter, so every time i went there to find out an answer they tell me i am missing a document when i actually was not until i decided to talk to some one there who is in higher position. when i talked to him and he told me that they wont accept me due to my academic suspension! so i lost my i 20 because of how unprofessional they were and now I am facing hard time finding a school that can accept me and i have been told from school that the best advice is to go back home but i really i want find any possible solution
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

What was the exact date that they terminated your I-20? Also, what was the reason that your grades slipped?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it was july the 7th and the reason behind it is that I apply for another school but they were very unprofessional to tell from the beginning that I would not get accepted due to my academic suspension! when i told them that even before my i 20 got terminated!

But that's not the reason you were suspended. You were suspended due to poor academic performance. I am asking as to why you had bad academic performance. Did you get sick? Was there a death in the family? What happened?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the reason my grades slipped was depression coz my dad was very sick and i though he dead and one wanted to tell me and health problems
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i thought he died ****

Ok. Then you should be able to qualify for reinstatement. You have 5 months to apply for it starting from July 7th. Honestly, you should apply as soon as possible. You will need to speak to your school's Designated School Officer (DSO) or if they do not want to help you, you will need to transfer to a new school and ask that new DSO for help to reinstate your status. This is very common. It happens more than you think. Here is an official link:

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/FR/HTML/FR/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-79324/0-0-0-85465/0-0-0-87514/0-0-0-87971.html

You can stay while it is pending, but file it as soon as possible. You need the DSO to help you, either the old one or the new one from a new school.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what if they told me it is too late to attend school this semester and i need to wait for next semest how can i apply for the restatement?

You can still apply for reinstatement, yes. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but how the school said told me:Below, please find instructions on the tasks you need to complete to prepare to file for reinstatement of your visa. When you have completed all of these assignments please leave all documents at the front desk of Peck Hall 208. You should keep in mind that reinstatement is usually granted only when the violation has occurred due to a situation that was beyond the student's control. There is no guarantee that your application to have your visa reinstated will be approved.1. Provide an updated financial statement. Contact your bank or financial sponsor and ask them for an official, signed letter showing that you or they are in possession of at least $32,500, which is the cost of total fees and tuition at MTSU for two semesters. If you have only one semester remaining you will need a statement for at least $16,250.2. Copy of your passport photo page and U.S. visa.3. Ask for an official, signed letter from your academic adviser verifying how many credits you are lacking before you are eligible to graduate and stating the semester for which you are on track to graduate.4. Write a letter of explanation addressed to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services stating the following: why you are out of status (make sure to specify the violation); the reason for the status violation; the effect on you of failure to receive reinstatement; a statement that you are currently pursuing a full course of study; and specifically request that USCIS reinstate you to F-1 student status.5. Complete and sign Form I-539 (Application to Extend Status/Change Nonimmigrant Status), indicating in Part 2 that the application is for reinstatement to student status. Part 2 of Form I-539 has a "Reinstatement to student status" checkbox at item 3 for this purpose.Form I-539: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-539.pdf
Form I-539 instructions, if you feel you need to refer to them: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-539instr.pdf
Keep in mind that your physical address should match your mailing address. And most importantly, all information you list on the I-539 - especially addresses - must match the information MTSU and the U.S. government has on file for you.6. A copy of your I-94.7. A copy of your current course schedule. >>>8. A new I-20 form issued by our office to you.9. Write a check or money order in the amount of $290 as the processing fee for Form I-539.
-The check or money order must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States and must be payable in U.S. currency;
-Make the check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Spell out U.S. Department of Homeland Security; do not use the initials "USDHS" or "DHS."When you have completed all of these assignments leave all documents at the front desk of Peck Hall 208. You will be contacted by email when your new I-20 is ready (item 8 from the list). You may then return to the office to pick up all of your documents and prepare to mail them. Do not mail the new I-20 - send a copy instead.You should then make a copy of all documents to keep for yourself. You will then send the completed application by USPS Express Mail/Courier to this address:
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
would the school allow to register for next semester from now?

You have to ask the school that. They should especially if they want your money and I'm sure they do. You cannot waste time. Get this done as soon as possible.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yea it made me feel better but i am just waiting for Monday to go to school
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will see what they are going to tell me and i will let you know. thank you.

Ok. That's fine, but if you wouldn't mind leaving me a positive rating now, that would make me feel much better. Do not worry, your session does not close after you leave a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.