Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I have a quick question regarding my card. I wanna give a

Customer Question

Hi! I have a quick question regarding my green card. I wanna give a copy of my green card to a stranger since its required for the application of an apartment. Is it safe to do so or no? Thank you for your help!
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: yes I have
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Is there any particular reason that they want that instead of just your driver's license, etc.?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello. can i cancel this sevice anytime without paying for a plan or more than the $5 dollars?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your help! Im about to rent an apartment, but the owners are not in the same city so they are asking me to send them a copy of my ID.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But I dont know if this is safe. for example if i send them a copy of my green card, would they be able to steal my identity or do some froud on my name?

But why can't you send them a copy of your driver's license? Are they specifically asking for your green card?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont have a driver's license yet. But do you say it is better a driver's license? in that case I can send them my husband driver's license copy.