How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 18581
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother is 66 work and paid 7 years tax. now he lost her

Customer Question

my mother is 66 work and paid 7 years tax. now he lost her job. meanwhile she sponcer my two brothers from Guyana. two weeks ago the biographaic came. she went into the social security office to see if she is entitle for social help they said that I only had 26 credit and they want to give me ssi which is government help seen that my brothers papers is so near will this be a problem to take ssi please advice me thanks
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Yes, it would be a problem for her to take SSI. However, even if she is unemployed, she can still sponsor your brothers. However, she would need co-sponsors who reside in the U.S. if she does not have substantial assets that can be used in place of employment. If she has retirement accounts, house, rental properties, she can use those assets to overcome the public assistance burden. Then should not need co-sponsors.

Related Immigration Law Questions