Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm

I have a withdrawal of an I-130/ I-485 filing. Can a

Customer Question

HI, I have a withdrawal of an I-130/ I-485 filing. Can a beneficiary write a letter of withdrawal to USCIS or does it have ot be the USC Petitioner?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: Yes, they have been filed already and we had an interview with no decision given
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NOt yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I filed for divorce a month ago.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The petitioner can withdraw the I-485 anytime before it is accepted, even after an interview has taken place. Since you are still waiting on a decision, you can still withdraw the 485 now.

In order to withdraw the 485, you'll need to write a letter to the office where your case is being processed, include any alien number or receipt number that was assigned to you, and include the reason for withdrawal in your letter. Also, you should note that even though the 485 will be withdrawn, USCIS unfortunately won't refund you any fees that you've paid.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. It's very important that you give me a positive rating for your deposit to be released and for me to be paid. (If you don’t, the site keeps your deposit). Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!