Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am F1 visa holder and I am studying P.hD in major of

Customer Question

I am F1 visa holder and I am studying P.hD in major of chemical engineering in the USA. I have my paycheck each month as a teaching assistant. I want to apply for H1 visa and my question is, if I want to get the H1 visa can I study in my degree and continue to be TA in our school with the paycheck from the school and also do I need to get the paycheck from my compony each month? Actually, to put everything in the nutshell, can I get two paychecks from my compony and school(as a TA) and continue my P.hD degree?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Unfortunately, you cannot. Your school would also have to file an H-1B for you. You can have multiple H-1Bs at the same time. You can even have two full-time H-1Bs working at the same time, but they may investigate that for fraud thinking that it is not practical to maintain working for two full-time employers at the same time. So you may want to do one full time and one part time H-1B or two part-time H-1Bs.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your clarification; I am working as a teacher assistant (TA) right now, and I have F-1 visa which means my college didn’t apply for H-1 visa; the points that came to my mind is,
I found a company that they want to hire me, and they will support me to get H-1 visa, and I still have two more semesters to complete my master degree, but I don’t want to lose my opportunity; with this in mind, what your suggestions in this situation? How may ways do I have to both continue my education and work in a company? and I want to be a TA so I do not need to pay for my tuitions.

You can get your H-1B and still work on your master's degree, but you cannot work as a TA if you get H-1B through another company. If you get H-1B, and you still want to work as TA, your school will need to file at least a part-time H-1B for you.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!