Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I am a US citizen my grand daughter is 17 yrs old living in

Customer Question

I am a US citizen my grand daughter is 17 yrs old living in London can I sponsor for her
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: no not yet because I an not sure if I can do it
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No , her father is living here only having a green card so I am not sure if he can do it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How long will it take after application for her to come over
JA: I'm trying to find the right Immigration Lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Will I have to pay for this service , or is it free advice
JA: The Immigration Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: I will like to know the cost before you put me on
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

No, you are not in the category of immediate relative that can sponsor your grandchild.

You must be a parent, spouse, sibling, or adult US citizen child (sponsoring a parent).

Your son can petition his daughter but it will take about 2 years for a visa number to become available.

He will have to establish a domicile in the US at that time when her priority date is current and a visa is available.

You would want to read this link which explains what domicile is under the immigration laws.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

Scroll down to "Sponsorship Requirements" and under that is "DOMICILE".

Her father as a permanent resident has to be cautious not to loose his permanent resident status by living abroad. Brief "visits" to the US is not maintaining a residence there and may be in danger of the Customs Officer finding him to have abandoned his status. (Just a side note of warning since you said he was "living" in London.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith