Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert

Is there a way to change immigration status from illegal to

Customer Question

Is there a way to change immigration status from illegal to legal in finland? I entered the country legally and fell in love with a guy so I never left. We have lived together for 4 years. My status is illegal as I over stayed. I don't want to leave. Is there anything g I can do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
First you are going to need to engage an attorney in Finland to represent you in filing your immigration forms. You are going to likely have to claim asylum in Finland, as that is one of the only grounds that the country will allow you to remain in the country without forcing you to leave. To claim asylum you have to show some proof that you would be in some immediate danger upon return to your country. I am afraid that is generally the only way you can remain in the country. Your only other option is to leave the country and then seek to return legally, perhaps through a marriage visa by marrying your boyfriend.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the fast reply. I have no chace to seek asylum as my home country is not a third world country, nor am in any danger. My nationality doesn't even require a visa to enter the EU.My boyfriend and I have talked about getting married so that sounds like our best option but If I decide to go with this other option of leaving and trying to return legally, wouldn't that mean I would get a ban? I am also afraid of mistreat at customs when attempting to leave.
Thank you for your reply.
You would not be mistreated at customs, but if you have to leave through customs other than driving to another EU country where you do not need to go through customs, you would have an issue and could indeed face a ban and in that case you would not be able to come back to the country unless you apply for a waiver of inadmissibility and seek to get them to waive the overstay if you are marrying your boyfriend. It is not easy and before you do that you need to actually sit with a local immigration attorney to review your case in depth and determine if you would have a chance to get your inadmissibility waived in the event of marriage.