Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Can any one having CPT category of F1 visa(student visa)

Customer Question

can any one having CPT category of F1 visa(student visa) register a LLc?if yes please let me know how we can do that and assure me that there would be no any legal issue.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Someone holding F1 status and authorized for CPT may form a corporate entity.

Now whether you may engage in providing services to that company will depend on what your CPT authorizes you to engage in.

CPT is supposed to be an integral part of your course of study for your major and it is based on the program director approving the work you would engage in under CPT in lieu of your attending actual classes.

So for you to do any active work through your LLC, you would have to discuss the nature of the duties you would perform for the LLC and outline for the program director and DSO how this is directly related to your course of study and is integral to your program.

If both approve this activity as qualifying as an integral part of your course work then you can work for the LLC.

If not, you may still form the legal entity but you may only hold a passive position in the LLC such as ownership of all or a portion of the entity but you may not engage in any activity of running the LLC or doing any work through it. You would have to hire a manager and the manager would have to hire employees to perform services that the LLC is offering to clients.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can i change CPT authorisation according to our LLC nature?
Expert:  Judith replied 3 months ago.

You may if the program director at your school deems the new position is an integral part of your course of study and recommends to the DSO to authorize your CPT with the LLC.

Judith