Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.

I'm looking to travel through the United States with a

Customer Question

Hello, I'm looking to travel through the United States with a criminal record and looking to hire a lawyer to confirm my ability to do so successfully. It was a possession of marihuana about three years ago by the military police for which I was not fingerprinted. It is also worth mentioning that I had criminal record check done for my last employer which came back clean. Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing back
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Were you actually convicted of the possession of marijuana?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cold lake Alberta canada
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, I thought you wrote where. As to whether or not I was convicted I'm pretty sure that I was but am not sure how to check that information.

Could you contact the local court where it happened? Check your criminal record? Did you receive any documentation?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not that I remember. I paid the fine and don't believe I received anything after my last court date.

Im so sorry, I was having issues with locating your question.

How much marijuana were you convicted of having?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was caught with 9 grams.

Thanks for the information. In that case you would generally be considered "inadmissible" from the US due to having a marijuana possession conviction. You can try to just travel as a Canadian but there is a possibility that when you do so, you will be asked about the conviction. There is also the possibility that it will not come up at all. If you are asked at any point about any arrests or convictions, you do have to be honest. There is no exception in the law eventhough it was less than 30 grams. However, the good news is that since it was less than 30 grams, if they do ask you about it.. you will be allowed to file the waiver on form I-192. If this is the only issue with the law you have had, then it should be approved.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Awesome. I only have one more question. Is this I192 waiver something I can get at the gate if I am denied? Or is it something I have to apply for in advance?

Since you Canadian, You would file it at the port of entry. You would have to wait for a decision. Here is some additional information on the process to file it

I hopet his helps and hope to have earned your positive rating.