Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.

My visa is J1 visa and it expired today. I was trying to

Customer Question

My visa is J1 visa and it expired today. I was trying to transfer my vist to F1. My lawyer told me I can transfer my visa during the grace period, so I kinda prepared late. Today I talked to another lawyer and heard that I can't apply f1 visa in my grace period time. Is there any possibility that I transfer my visa stayin in the usa?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: My official status is J1 trainee visa. what is USCIS?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I talked to my lawyer and she said we have to anyway process this even though there is low possiblity.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if there is any other possibility that I can transfer my vist in grace priod...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

I'm so sorry but I am not going to have good news for you about this. There is no possibility that you can change your status to F1 anymore. The last day for you to do it is BEFORE your J1 visa expires.

The Dept of State does not allow you to apply for change of status while on your grace period in the J1 visa. You can only travel domestically and stay here legally if you wish. This means that if you want to apply for F1 visa, you will have to leave the US and apply to come back in with the F1 visa.

Again I am sorry for the bad news. I hope you can understand that I do not make the rules and I cannot change them.

I hope you can rate me based on my service and not good or bad news.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Hello again.. I see that you have not been able to view my question yet. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or anything I can clarify for you. My goal is to earn your positive rating.