Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

On October 2013 I was approved for the card via marriage to

Customer Question

On October 2013 I was approved for the green card via marriage to a US citizen, and on the green card I have my husbands last name.I am coming close to citizenship but I want to change my last name to my pre marital last name.Should I wait until after I get the citizenship or should I do it before?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Taylor replied 3 months ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

It depends on if you want to save money. If you can wait, then do it through the U.S. Citizenship process and it is included in the fee. If you don't want to wait, then you would have to go through a name change process in the state of Florida which would be an additional fee. Here is a link:

http://www.flcourts.org/core/fileparse.php/533/urlt/982a.pdf

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Guillermo,Thank you for the quick reply.I am in no rush at all. So just to confirm it is possible to change the last name when processing for the citizenship? If I do that will it delay the process in any way?Thanks

Yes, and yes, but not by much. Why? Because if one does not change their name, they can usually get the next appointment for the oath ceremony. But when one does a name change, they have to wait for the next oath ceremony that is presided over by a judge. If that ends up being the next one after you do the interview, then you got lucky. If not, you may need to wait a few months.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Understood, how much would it cost for a lawyer such as yourself to complete the filing on my behalf? and in what time frame? currently I am 45 days before my 3 year anniversary for the greencard.

I cannot discuss that through an open forum, but we can discuss it in private. I will send you a Premium Service Offer.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Oh, and the process normally takes 5 to 7 months, but it could take more time depending on the location that you live in.

Hello Samy. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!