ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My friend from Kenya would like to come to USA to meet me

Customer Question

My friend from Kenya would like to come to USA to meet me and my family and possible marriage. Does he need a visa as well as a Passport?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No. But I have applied for a Passport for myself so that I can go to Kenya.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. Do I need to talk to a lawyer? If so, why?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Everyone entering the United States legally needs a passport. If someone is coming into the U.S. from a country that is not "visa exempt" (part of the "visa waiver program") then he/she would need a visa.

Citizens or nationals of the following countries* are currently eligible to travel to the United States under the VWP, unless citizens of one of these countries are also a national of Iraq, Iran, Syria, or Sudan.

Andorra
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brunei
Chile
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Monaco
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Portugal
San Marino
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
United Kingdom

* (England, Northern Ireland,
Scotland and Wales)

As Kenya is not part of this list, he would need to get a visitors visa to be able to visit the US.

You can find out more about that here: http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response.

I wanted to make it clear that the two are independent, in that he needs a passport from his country, and then in that passport he'd need to get a visa from the US Embassy to visit.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only then I am credited.

Again, I need you to rate this question, please. I don't get any credit or paid for the time that I spent with you unless and until you do.