Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

Need help in getting my adopted children from Liberia, West

Customer Question

Need help in getting my adopted children from Liberia, West Africa visas and travel documents
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: US citizen, no pending applications
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Adoption completed in Liberia
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense and Immigration Law attorney, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be helping answer your questions today; please note I can answer your questions for informational purposes only, as we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
need help with foreign adoption

You'll need to file for either an IR-3 or IR-4 visa. Did you travel abroad and meet your children in person prior to the adoption? That's relevant for determining which visa you need to file for.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did. How do we get the visa application. Where do we file it? Liberia or US

You file it here in the US through the USCIS.gov website.

You'll need to fill out the forms for an IR-3 visa for a non-hague convention country. Once your child arrives in the US they will receive their citizenship!

I hope that helps! Please feel free to ask me any follow-up questions. Please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. We can still continue our conversation for free after you've rated me. Thanks!

I apologize, I forgot to include the form you will need to fill out in my prior answer, it's Form I-600.

Please let me know if that helps clarify things and if you have any more questions.