Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I have approved I-140 and into 5th year of H1B....what

Customer Question

Hello I have approved I-140 and into 5th year of H1B....what happens if i change my job....can my new employer get the H1B for more than 1 year....since i would be done with my 6th year of H1B in next September
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i believe this is it
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can i renew my H1B with new employer with the approved I-140 of the old employer ?
Expert:  Expert James replied 3 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a back and forth conversation. Once you've received the information you need, you can thank me by issuing me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

ANSWER: Your employer can only get it for 1 year, and then can apply for an extension for 3 years after that.

Yes, you can get an H1B extension for any employer, even if it is not the I-140 employer. The I-140 is for a future job offer. It is not necessarily related to the current H1B employer.

I hope I have answered your questions. I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

Once you have received an answer, please help me get credit for doing my job, by giving me a positive rating of 3, 4 or 5 stars or any of the smiling faces. You can still ask more questions, even after you’ve given a rating.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going.

I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.