Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

Citizen, between two marriages I have a children but I have

Customer Question

I am American citizen , between two marriages I have a children but I have one more that was born in the meantime .Kid is now 9 years old and leaves in Bosnia With mother. Even when the kid was born I was American citizen already what do I need to make her citizenship as well
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1) What year was the child born?

2) Were you married to the mother when this child was born?
3) Were you an American citizen when this child was born?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Child was born on 2008 ,I was American citizen at the time,no I wasn't married to the mother at the time , I was going to divorce with the ex-wife ar the time child was born
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. A child born outside the U.S. is a Citizen at birth, if:

-the child's parent's are not married, and

-the genetic father is a U.S. citizen at the time of birth, the mother is an alien, and the birthdate is on or after November 14, 1986.

See HERE.

To apply for US Citizenship, the child's parent(s) would have to apply for the N-600k, which is a certificate of US Citizenship. See HERE. This is an application for a child who regularly resides in a foreign country to claim U.S. citizenship based on the child's parents. If granted, this would make him a US Citizen.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.