Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!

I have a girl friend in the Philippines soon to be my

Customer Question

I have a girl friend in the Philippines soon to be my fiance... What is the process for her immigrating to the US and us marrying here? She has a 6 year old son and she has never been married. Or is it better to marry in the Philippines and then apply with me already a US citizen?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a back and forth conversation. Once you've received the information you need, you can thank me by issuing me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

ANSWER: If you want her to come first, and then get married, you have to do the fiance visa process.

You first file the I-129F petition for her in the US. Then it gets approved and goes to the National Visa Center. Once processed there, it goes to the US consulate abroad. She files a visa application with supporting documents, goes through a medical examination and an interview, and if approved, she is issued a fiance visa.

She uses that visa to come to the US and must get married within 90 days of entering with that visa. Then she can apply for adjustment of status to permanent resident and gets her green card.

I hope I have answered your questions. I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

Once you have received an answer, please help me get credit for doing my job, by giving me a positive rating of 3, 4 or 5 stars or any of the smiling faces. You can still ask more questions, even after you’ve given a rating.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going.

I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.