Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am applying for a Brazil Work visa. My FBI background

Customer Question

I am applying for a Brazil Work visa. My FBI background check shows 2 charges that I was arrested for: DUI and manslaughter 2 in 1993. It does not show conviction, only the arrest.
How will this be handled in the visa process?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Did the actual charges end in a conviction for either or both of them? Or, not?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did a plea bargain. I plead guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter and the dui charge was dropped. There was no jail time. Only probation and community service. This is not on the FBI report. Only the arrest.
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Thank you.

Well I cannot tell you to lie. So assuming the Brazilian consulate agent inquires about this, one wants to be truthful.

See HERE. Brazil has a very case by case, subjective standard when it comes to criminal matters. They simply want to make sure that they are not importing violent behavior. Since this matter was not malicious or heinous, but due to a DUI, I highly doubt that this would invalidate the visa.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.