Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

My fiance,, is in Ghana and he procured the services of one

Customer Question

My fiance, Aaron, is in Ghana and he procured the services of one called, "Minister of Tourism," to obtain a visa to the USA (Seattle) to marry me. The Minister charged $2400.00 USD and said he would guarantee success. Three months later (on Aug 5) the visa was ready but my fiance had to give another $700.00 (on Aug 3) for the airline ticket which was supposed to go from Ghana to NYC and then on to Seattle/Tacoma airport. When my fiance picked up the visa, as scheduled on Aug 5, he took it to the US Embassy in Accra and discovered that the visa was a "fraud." Upset, he went back to the Minister and slapped him in his face. The minister called the police and Aaron arrested and spent 7days in jail until his sister offered herself as a surety that Aaron would appear in court on Monday, Aug 15. The court adjourned the case until the following Monday because of the large number of cases. I have written a letter for Aaron to take to court addressed: To Whom It May Concern, stating my knowledge of the agreement and my part in contributing to the expenses. In court, on Monday, Aaron noticed that the Minister did have an attorney with him. I would like for Aaron to have an attorney but, neither he nor I have the money to hired one at this point. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Have you met Aaron in person before or only over the Internet, Skype, etc.? Have you sent him money to help?

Loree, I genuinely want to help you. Please respond. I have personal experience in these types of cases. What is Aaron's current situation?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

I understand that you may be anticipating what I am about to tell you, maybe you just don't want to believe it but I have personal experience with this. I almost fell victim myself, so please keep an open mind.

These are generally romance scams. We get at least two or three questions like this on the website per week.

Normally the scam starts with trying to establish a romantic relationship, perhaps just a friendship at first. They also may claim to be a citizen of the UK or US or wherever so that you would not suspect they have any ulterior motive. They pull at your heartstrings by telling stories of hardship or tragedy that they have suffered in their life. At some point they want to come visit. They may ask you to send money for a passport and/or plane ticket. They may tell you that they have money, perhaps even that they are wealthy, but their money is tied up or something like that, perhaps they tie it into a tragedy or something. Then the next step is when they supposedly have the passport and plane ticket, they suddenly come up with this Basic Travel Allowance or (BTA) which is supposedly to show authorities that they have enough money to fund their trip. This is a lie. There is no such thing. They ask you to send that money so they can put it into a bank account to show the authorities. This is just another method to steal money from you. Then the next part of the scam would be when they are supposed to arrive. You wait for them at the airport and they never show up. A few days go by, you get extremely worried, none of your methods of communication work, and then suddenly a "friend" or "relative" of the scammer contacts you to let you know that the scammer has been detained/arrested by authorities for carrying something illegal, I have heard of unregistered gold and they say it would have been a gift for you (perhaps to pay you back for the money you sent). The friend or relative of the scammer then asks for you to send money to bribe or pay fines in order to have the scammer released. From there, I have not heard of how else they are able to get money out of people. Of course there are variations to the scheme, but that's pretty much how it goes.

Here is a link that you can go to for more information:

And here is another link from the government of Ghana:

and another:

and another:

and another from the U.S. Embassy in Moscow:

and one more:

Whatever you do, do NOT send money!

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Loree, please don't ignore me. I can see that you have seen my response. I am very passionate about these types of cases and helping people like you. I will give you some examples of previous situations:

Please look at the stories and not the answers which are generally the same.

If you just don't believe me, let me know and I will try to see how he can get an attorney without you sending any money to him.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Ok Loree, I'm giving up. If I don't hear from you, I will assume it is ok for me to use this as an example to others so that they don't make the same mistake. Also, you should report this to the FBI. You can do so by going to Don't let these scammers get away with this! I sincerely ***** ***** good luck.