Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
10285032

New I-94 with a new admission date after a trip to Canada?

Customer Question

I´m currently in the US with a B1 Visa an a admission date till 8-22-16. When I leave the US and travel to Canada for a few days will I get a new I-94 with a time reset or will I only get a new I-94 with the old admission date.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

USCIS no longer uses paper I-94, they have gone to electronic reporting. Each I-94 contains the new admission date upon arrival back in the US and when you exit the departure date is noted. The new system keeps track of the days that you have spend in the US. The time does not "reset" for purposes of days allowed to be in the US per year, but each time you enter the new entry date is entered into the electronic I-94 records. See: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/i-94-instructions/i94-rollout

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Upon arrival, a CBP officer stamps the travel document of each arriving non-immigrant traveler with the admission date, the class of admission, and the date that the traveler is admitted until. What will be with the admitted until date after a trip to canada. Will it be still the 08-22-16. As far as I know with a trip to Canada or mexico I will not get a reset of the time (new admitted until date) you are allowed to be inside the U.S. For this I have to go somwhere else. Is this correct ?
Thank you for your reply.
You do not get a reset time. You are correct, you have to go somewhere else as you stated. Once your visa is up you have to reapply for a new one. The visa is good for a set period and must be renewed when that time is up and your multiple reentries do not reset the valid date of the visa.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The Visa is still valid till 2020. And I´m allowed to stay 6 month a year in the us.Till now I´ve spend only 3 month in the us.

Thank you for your reply.

So you still have 3 months left on the visa for this year and they add up the dates that you spend in the US for that year.