Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert

Due to certain immigration constraints I need to enter into

Customer Question

Due to certain immigration constraints I need to enter into a written settlement agreement prior to making a final decision to divorce. is that something that will protect me financially once and if the Divorce is done. My primary goal is to protect my wife's immigration at this point but i dont want to get into additional future Alimony etc liability.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, a written settlement agreement is a contract that is enforceable by the courts like any other contract. So, if you have a marital settlement agreement it can specify that no further payments in the form of alimony or spousal support are due by you and that the person receives only what is specified in the contract. It also has to have a clause stating that the parties have had the chance to have the agreement reviewed by an attorney and that they understand it and voluntarily agree to the terms without any promises not contained in the agreement itself.