Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
26296561

I am traveling to India. Have a Indian passport and us card.

Customer Question

I am traveling to India. Have a Indian passport and us green card. The green card expired in July of 2016 but I filed i90 in April. When I went for my bio metrics appt they placed s sticker at the back of the green card and punched holed February and 2017. Can I travel with that and renter us in s week or do they need the extension stamp on my passport
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, it is better not to travel internationally until renewed greed card is received, however, if the travel cannot be postponed, then the foreigner who has an expired green card and filed for renewal, needs to have an extension stamp in his/her passport, which can usually be obtained during an infopass appointment at USCIS.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does the sticker not work? My reason to travel is my fathers passing away in India. I do have an info pass appointed for Monday and plan to leave Monday evening. Will they stamp the passport right away or is there a delay

Thank your follow up.

Generally, the sticker or even stamp in the passport would cause a delay and in most cases secondary inspection, which can last an hour or longer and given the fact that only US citizens have guaranteed right to re-enter the US, it is always up to the Border Protection officers at the airport whether to admit foreign national into the USA, it is generally not a good idea to travel, until and unless the green card is renewed, however, USCIS will generally stamp the passport right away, if there is a valid pending I90 which has not been denied.

I wish you the best of luck!