Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am wondering about the questions if I am able to support

Customer Question

I am wondering about the questions if I am able to support my alien fiance. What does public charge mean? My fiance would be planning to work here in the US after we are married. Do I need to have some kind of income requirement that isn't going to put me at risk for a denial?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Yes you do. The income requirement is 125% over the poverty level income depending on the number of household members or if you have any support orders for dependents.

Please tell me this information. Do you live alone? Do you have any support orders for previous spouse or minor children?

Judith

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Judith, I am currently living with my family (mom and brother) and we are caretakers for our grandparents and they give us money in doing so. I also have a savings account, I have no children or support orders. My fiance (male) would be planning to work as a provider for me, but I do have savings that would accommodate our immediate financial needs

I am not clear, do you have a job that gives you a W-2 at the end of each year and tax returns that show an income of at least $20,000 year?

Judith