Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
10285032

I am an American citizen and am needing a police clearance

Customer Question

I am an American citizen and am needing a police clearance to obtain a spousal visa. Which is the best and quickest route in doing so? Home Affairs in South Africa is requesting this to be done prior to getting married
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is this message being received?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Are you asking about a criminal background check from the US? If so, you can get one done pretty quickly going to your local police department record room and paying for a certified criminal records check, which is where they run your record and stamp the document showing the record (if there is no record, it shows there is no record).
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that is what I'm looking for. Just wasn't sure if it needed to be FBI certified. I'm currently in South Africa and trying to obtain it from here.
Thank you for your reply.
You would need to check with the police where you reside, but if you are not there, then you may need to go to the local US consulate because they can run a national criminal history check as well. The police in the US require the person seeking the record check to be present in person.