How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 107989
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

FOR GUILLERMO I had a couple of quick questions about

Customer Question

Hello, I had a couple of quick questions about immigration paperwork:
As I explained before, my wife and I are applying for resident status. We married here in the US after she arrived on a tourist visa. We live in Hawaii on the island of Kauai and we do not have access to the immigration office without taking a flight! Your help is most appreciated.1) On form I-485 under part 2 a though j should I be checking "b" for "my spouse or parent applied for an adjustment of status or was granted lawful....."? None of them seem to be quite the right choice for our situation.2)My wife does not have any desire to return to Japan for the next year and a half or so. Would it be ok to skip the I-131?3)The forms ask for passport photos on the back of which we are to write our names in felt pen. Should my wife use her name that is on her passport, or my last name?4)Lastly, as far as the payment to USCIS, should I make all separate checks/money orders for each form fee or put it all together as one check?Also, I paid a fee last time for a residency package. What does this mean or what am I entitled to for that?
Thanks so much for your help!
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for requesting me by name:

1) It's "a" because you will be filing an I-130 for her that will give her an immediately available immigrant visa.

2) Yes, but I would not because you never know if emergency travel will be needed. Since it is free, she should do it (it is included in the price of the I-485).

3) If the marriage certificate legally changed her name to your last name, then fill everything out with your last name.

4) I would do one for $420 for the I-130 and one for $1070 for the I-485.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I will be happy to respond, but because this case is the type of case that I love to handle, I will now send you a low-cost offer so that I can pass on my personal phone number and email. I cannot discuss pricing on an open forum, but if you accept, you will see I have multiple services available to you from document review to full representation and all at very reasonable prices. You won't be disappointed as these are my favorite cases to do and have been doing them for many years. If you decline, no problem, you can ask additional questions without any additional charge. But PLEASE remember to leave a positive rating for me. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Also, a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. And finally, your question does NOT close just because you leave a positive rating. I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!