RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

As card holder with dui and no criminal records can I apply

Customer Question

As green card holder with dui and no criminal records can I apply for citizenship?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

In order to obtain citizenship you must prove Good Moral Character for five years before the application. Generally any criminal offense short of a minor traffic violation negates good moral character. Hence you may have to wait for five years from the date of the offense.

The rule of thumb is wait for five years to pass since the last charge or conviction before you file the N-400. The N-400 does request a showing of 5 previous years of good moral character. Nonetheless, different jurisdictions can be more or less lenient in the definition of "good moral character." Even if just a charge (not a conviction, e.g., the case was dismissed or you were found not guilty) different courts may look at it differently. It is therefore best you speak with a local immigration attorney who knows the courts in your area view it.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!