Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I lost contact with my daughter yesterday evening. She was

Customer Question

I lost contact with my daughter yesterday evening. She was in rental car with both our names. I let her use it to go to Harlingen area to scout college schools Her phone is cut off. No contact with her since last night. I have called all local jails. No record. Is it possible to locate rental car so I can return it if she is detained for any reason by border patrol.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

But not sure I understand what you mean by

Is it possible to locate rental car so I can return it

Are you asking if the rental car company has this technology?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I am worried my daughter is being held by border patrol. I rented a car in both our names so she could check on schools. She went through border checkpoint and last I heard from her was just before that.

Thank you
So what is your question today?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to locate daughter if she is in custody of border patrol and find out if I can retrieve rental car and return

Thank you
Have you contacted the board patrol?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but unable to gain information about daughter. Will I be able to have access to return rented vehicle if she is detained. It was rented by me and her as additional driver.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Did your daughter have a visa to enter the U.S.? Which visa? I'm trying to figure out why she would be detained.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no knowledge yet of what is going on. I am unable to locate her but last contact she was near Mexican border inside Texas going through check point. I know her boyfriend had felony in past and he was with her. He had outstanding warrant. She is a US citizen.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The problem is I rented car in both our names for her to take the trip. If indeed she is detained by border patrol for any reason will I be able to retrieve vehicle?

And you believe that the U.S. authorities have her or the Mexican authorities have her?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
US border patrol

Ok. There are a couple of places that you can look:

https://locator.ice.gov/odls/searchByName.do

If you cannot find her or him there, then you may have to call each facility to find out:

http://www.ice.gov/detention-facilities/

As far as the rental car, you can contact the rental company to see if they have trackers install and ask them to locate the car. If it has been impounded by the authorities, you would have to speak to them to see about getting it released from impound.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried to locate her through these areas and there is no record of her.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How long does it take if she were detained for me to obtain information about her whereabouts?

I would say no more than a few days. Did you try the rental company?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No way to locate vehicle.

Authorities could locate her phone, so that may be a possibility. Did they tell you how long you must wait before filing a missing person's report?

Well, I would contact the ICE detention centers again tomorrow and if none of them have her, then file a missing person's report with the police department closest to where you believe she was last located. Here is another link that may be of help:

http://dps.texas.gov/mpch/criteria.htm

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello Lois. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello Lois. Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.