Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

Does my wife need to be in the country to file a divorce

Customer Question

Does my wife need to be in the country to file a divorce with me if she has no legal status yet in the U.S. because she came to the country on a US visa to marry me in which we have already did 2 months ago but things are not working out and she is leaving in 2 days.
help please !!!
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Do you live in the U.S.? Where and for how long? And where is she living?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I live in Nashville TN and my wife came from Cambodia on a visa to marry me.
I am a U.S. citizen
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello, are you still there?

Yes, I am here. I was on the phone with a client. My apologies. As long as you have been living/residing in the state of TN the required amount of time (usually 6 months), you can file for divorce and so can she even if he is illegally in the U.S. Of course, if she leaves in 2 days, she probably will not be able to come back to attend any hearings, so she may have to appear telephonically or something like that. You can continue the divorce process on your own. There are ways to do that which a divorce attorney will clue you in on for your specific state. Again, my apologies for the delay.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!