Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

My cousin came on a B2 visa. She loves it here and she wants

Customer Question

my cousin came on a B2 visa. She loves it here and she wants to continue the studies in the US because she sees more opportunities here for her life
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No nothing yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: She also had a baby a month ago and is here with her husband on B2 visa as well
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

I wish it was that easy to just come and decide to stay to get a better life. That's most people and most people are disappointed. Did she use public funds to pay for the birth of the U.S.? If so, is she going to pay those funds back? Does she have funds to pay for one year of schooling (at least) and room and board? What country is she from?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

There are generally 5 avenues to obtain U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. They are through family, through employment, through Asylum or refugee process, through investment, or through the lottery.

For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.

Through employment, she would have to generally prove that she would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education she has, the harder that is to do.

Through Asylum or Refugee process, she must prove that she would be persecuted, tortured or killed if she stayed in her country and that this will happen to her because of her nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because she would run the same risk as anyone else in her country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

Through investment, she is looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or if she wants a temporary visa, probably at least $100,000 or $200,000 investment to start.

And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify.

Here is a link to the different forms to get a green card:

Then there are some visas available where she can stay temporarily and then later change to Lawful Permanent Residency if he qualifies.

Some of the visas available through employment (if she has a job offer and she qualifies) are:

H-1B for professional workers
H-2A for seasonal agricultural workers
H-2B for seasonal nonagricultural workers
H-3 for industrial trainees

Then there are the F-1 and M-1 for students and J-1 for exchange visitors.

And then there is the E-1 for treaty traders and E-2 for treaty investors (these types of visas are not available in all countries).

Here is a link to most of the available visas:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.