KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I would like to know how I should go about renewing my card.

Customer Question

Hi There .I would like to know how I should go about renewing my green card . it expired in Nov. 2014. I have lived and worked in Denmark for the past 3 years and I'm danish myself. I returning to the US in Aug 25 .2016. I have two sons in San Francisco both are US citizens.
Can I renew my green card here in Denmark ? Can renew it at the US embassy here in Copenhagen ? or should I enter the US on a tourist in 3 weeks time ? Please advise .
Kind regards
Jakob Pedersen
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.
Good morning.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.
I will answer your question in a moment.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.
As a US Permanent Residents you should not have lived and worked outside the US for three years without first obtaining a Reentry Permit. Since you let your green cards expire while they are abroad you have another problem with renewing the card. In the circumstances you described, the USCIS will probably consider you to have abandoned your US residence.It is possible to apply for reentry into the US as a permanent resident with the green card and proof that you have maintained the US as your permanent residence, including showing that the reason for the trip, that it was temporary, and that the overlong stay was due to unexpected reasons beyond the person’s control. However, just taking a job in your native country and residing is not considered an unexpected circumstance.You also let your green card expire while you were abroad, you would now need to apply for a Returning Resident Visa (SB-1). This can be done at the US consular post in Denmark. However, it will be hard to show that you did not abandon the green card based upon the facts you stated above. If the consulate refuses the SB-1 visa, then you would have to have a new nonimmigrant or immigrant visa to return to the US. This is also difficult and often rejected.I recommend that you consult and hire an experienced US immigration lawyer before you apply as an experienced attorney will be able to assist with the application and provide the best available documentation in support of your claim that you maintained your US residence, hereby increasing the chances for an approval.
I hope this helps.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

If you have any other question please ask. Please rate the question or I will not get paid for assisting you.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

If you have any other question please ask. Please rate the question or I will not get paid for assisting you

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.