KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

Me and my wife arent US citizens, but we just had 2

Customer Question

hello there,
me and my wife arent US citizens, but we just had 2 beautiful kids here that received citizenship right away... my question is - do me and my wife get any rights or could start any process for a green card ,temporary visa, or citizenship trough our children?
our visa is about to expire and we would have to leave in a couple of months..
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.
Good morning.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately, you have got a long wait ahead. For a U.S. citizen child to petition for a parent, the child must be at least 21 years of age. If you come forward and attempt to adjust your status based upon the current law you risk being caught by immigration authorities, placed in removal proceedings, and eventually deported from the U.S. with your children, and then having an order that you not return for several years (the exact number depending on the legal grounds for your removal).There is an exception to the rule prohibiting people from changing or adjusting status if they’re not already in the U.S. in legal status. It applies to immediate relatives of U.S. citizens who entered the U.S. legally and will be applying for a green card through that U.S. citizen. They are allowed to “adjust status” to permanent resident without leaving the United States. That could be you after your child turns 21—but again, if you just stay in the U.S., you are facing a long, not to mention illegal, wait in the U.S. to get to that point.
People who leave the U.S. or get deported after living here illegally have another problem to worry about. People who have more than 180 days of "unlawful presence" in the U.S. and then leave voluntarily will not be allowed to return for three years; those who have more than one year of unlawful presence and then leave or get deported will not be allowed to return for ten years. "Unlawful presence" is a special concept in immigration law—it's not exactly the same thing as being out of status, like you are.Your best bet is to wait until a change in the immigration policy is made by Congress.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

If you have any other questions just ask, if not please rate the question for credit and tracking. if you don't rate, I will not get paid.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask. If not, please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you don't rate the question, I will not get paid for assisting you.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

If you have any other question, just ask. If not please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you do not rate the question I will not get paid for assisting you.