Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

I'm here only on my visa since 2011, No..I don't, I did and

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'm here only on my visa since 2011
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No..I don't
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I did and was advised that the only way to adjust my status was to get married to a citizen of the US
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm not sure if there's anything else he wanted to know. The interview was less than 5 minutes
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

What was the visa that you used to enter the U.S.? And you are saying that you overstayed that status? How old were you when you entered the U.S.?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I came in a visitors visa that was issued for 10 years. I was 45 when I came here.

Ok. Unfortunately, the options are limited. At least they are better than those available to persons that entered the U.S. illegally. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger means leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all. Your options are generally the following:

) Wait for the immigration reform that comes out. If it is approved the way that they are intending, then you may be able to get Residency if you entered the U.S. early enough.

2) Apply for Asylum (you had to have done this within the 1st year of being in the U.S. unless there is a credible excuse or changed country conditions), Withholding of Removal, Convention Against Torture, or Cancellation of Removal. The first three things are if you fear to return to your home country because you believe that you will be specifically targeted due to your race, religion, nationality, social group or political opinion and that you run a high risk of great bodily injury, torture, or death as a result. The last, Cancellation, you would have to prove that you have been at least 10 years in the U.S. AND you must also prove that if you are deported, a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident that depends upon you will suffer exceptional and extremely unusual hardship. This hardship must be something more than emotional separation hardship or financial hardship, so it is difficult to get.

3) If you marry a U.S. Citizen (for love, of course), you could file for Residency without having to leave the U.S. The same if you had a U.S. Citizen son or daughter over 21.

Again, I am truly sorry. I wish I had better news for you, but the options are limited at the moment.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.