Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Im, an international student, i will soon be out of status

Customer Question

hi,im sam, an international student, i will soon be out of status due to some academic i had in my school and i tried to transfer to another school but was denied
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: south dakota
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: but am currently in pa
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: nope?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

If you go out of status with a terminated SEVIS you have 5 months to apply for reinstatement if you get accepted to another school.

So the best course of action is to put all your efforts into getting into another school who will recommend reinstatement on their I-20, notify your old school to transfer your record to the new school and file form i-539 for reinstatement.

It is always best to seek the assistance of an attorney to do this process of reinstatement.

Also you need to find a new school as soon as possible because while you are out of status you can always be deported.

Once you file for reinstatement you are in a safety net until a decision is made.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith