Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am a student with a terminated SEVIS more than 5 months

Customer Question

hello I am a student with a terminated SEVIS more than 5 months because my record transfer did not go through but I did not find out until recently because my school claimed to have informed me but I did not know however i have always attended full course classes at a community college and i recently got accepted to a different 4 year college and I have a new I-20 from the college what are my options besides having to leave the country? because my F-1 visa expires in less than 6 months and I know I will not be able to get approved for another visa Can my new college report me to the authorities or stop me from enrolling if I am able to pay for school?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

hello I am a student with a terminated SEVIS more than 5 months because my record transfer did not go through but I did not find out until recently because my school claimed to have informed me but I did not know however i have always attended full course classes at a community college and i recently got accepted to a different 4 year college and I have a new I-20 from the college what are my options besides having to leave the country? because my F-1 visa expires in less than 6 months and I know I will not be able to get approved for another visa

Response: Because you have now been out of Status for more than five months, your only option is to leave the country and come back with a new I-20.

Reinstatement would have been an option if you had not been out of status for more than five months. In other to apply for reinstatement to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services ("USCIS"), you have to show that you have not been out of Status for more than five month. Since, you have been out of status for more than five months, that option is no longer available to you.

Can my new college report me to the authorities or stop me from enrolling if I am able to pay for school?

Response 2: No.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.