Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!

My STEM OPT extension was received by USCIS one day late. Is

Customer Question

My STEM OPT extension was received by USCIS one day late. Is there still a chance that the application be approved? Can I be working during this time while the application is pending even though it wasn't received on time?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a back and forth conversation. Once you've received the information you need, you can thank me by issuing me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

ANSWER: Unfortunately, I do not have very good news. Since 2012, the USCIS has been strictly enforcing the rule that the OPT request must be filed within 30 days of the DSO certifying the I-20.

You can find this information here:

As far as working, you cannot be employed unless you have a valid EAD in hand and the employment is commensurate with that valid EAD.

I hope I have answered your questions. I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

Once you have received an answer, please help me get credit for doing my job, by giving me a positive rating of 3, 4 or 5 stars or any of the smiling faces. You can still ask more questions, even after you’ve given a rating.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going.

I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.