Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert

I received my Card E18 category on July 15th. GC in hand

Customer Question

Hi. Im Michael.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I received my Green Card E18 category on July 15th. GC in hand since last Thursday.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The company BAUER Foundation based in Florida wants to send me to Germany to work for BAUER Spezialtiefbau for 4 months starting August 1st.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us about this issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I expect an offer from a US major competitor today to join their company. As far as I understand: Leaving to Germany on a german contract for 4 months puts potential risk on my GC. Question: Can I join another company this early after GC issuance? The E18 restriction with staying in my field of business would be fully covered.

Thank you for your reply.

Leaving the country for more than 12 consecutive months with your green card can make your readmission to the US difficult. 4 months is not a risk, since you are allowed to leave the country with your green card.

As far as joining the new company, that would depend on any contractual obligations you have with your current company. If you guaranteed them a certain amount of service in exchange for your green card, you have to complete that contract with them or they can pursue you for breach of contract. However, if you have no such contractual restrictions, you can indeed switch over to some new employer within your restrictions.